GEAR REVIEW – Xero Shoes ‘Jessie’ Sandal ($45)
I feel as if I must preface this review with a disclaimer: I have never been psyched about the barefoot movement; I’m the type of girl that opts for the most cushioned shoes on the market for running. Now, that that’s out of the way, I need to share my psych for a ‘as minimalist as it gets’ sandal, the Xero Shoes ‘Jessie’ sandal. Weighing in at a meagre 9.6 ounces per pair (women’s size 7), this sandal is a dream for backpacking or post trail running and podium romping.
After long days pounding on the trail, the first thing I do when I finish is ditch the socks and shoes and throw on some airy sandals. Really, I want nothing on my feet and the sandals are a compromise for walking around in public while preserving what’s left of my toes and the soles of my feet. And AAAH, the Jessie sandal is exactly what my feet want after a big day in the mountains. For reference, I wear a running shoe size W10 (EU 42) and tested the Jessie in a W10.
BUY YOURS here.
Bottom Line – Runners and backpackers must have these!
- Fit – True to size, can actually cut sole to customize your fit but I did not need to.
- Weight (less) – 4.8oz/sandal (W7), HELLO BACKPACKING
- 5.5mm FeelTrue® rubber sole – barefoot feel while still providing protection to your soles
- Zero drop – foot is in anatomical flat position
- Adjustable, elastic heel and instep strap – sandal stays put with no chafing or hot spots
- 5,000 mile sole warranty – I don’t know how you would rack up this mileage on a sandal, but I’m impressed the company stands behind their goods for the long haul
- Only available in black currently