GEAR REVIEW – Stio Women’s Hometown Down Hooded Jacket ($299)
A hotly contested subject in my household is my puffy collection. How many puffies can one human need?! Well, apparently at least one more. I mean, how could I say no to a “go-anywhere, everyday mountain-town insulator” with a funky fresh face fabric such as “tap shoe fauna”? Turns out that Jackson Hole based, Stio, created their Hometown Down Hooded Jacket to be more than just a looker. I’ve enjoyed taking her out on blustery nights for aprés fun just as much as tearing down the freshly groomed corduroy courtesy of first chair at world class ski resorts.
Stio’s Hometown Down Hooded Jacket is ultra-warm thanks to its 800-fill goose down, generous baffles, and high loft; and yet, feels incredibly lightweight (16oz – size M). The face fabric comes in your basic pretty colors with a not so basic color option that really makes this puffy stand out from the standard issue Colorado uniform – a fun leaf print fabric. Nearly everyone in the family can have this jacket too, because its available in men’s, women’s and children’s variations (sorry, ladies only for fun leaf print). Every single time I wear this jacket, I am complimented on the fabric and asked about the brand. This is my go-to puffy for life in the mountains.
Major kudos to Stio as a brand for using fluorocarbon free, responsibly sourced, water resistant down that is certified and comes with its own report card/birth certificate certified by Control Union (my report here).
I was provided this Hometown Down Hooded Jacket for the purpose of this review. For fit, I’m 5’8’’ 140lb with an athletic build, long arms, and tall torso. I tested the jacket in a size M (size chart). The jacket fits true to size.Buy Yours
Bottom Line – A do-it-all mountain puffy with ethics.
- Affordability – Price is just under $300 for a hooded, responsibly sourced down jacket.
- Light and full down insulation – Generous baffles of 800-fill, AlliedFeather™ HyperDRY™ water-repellent goose down for warmth in cold, wet conditions
- Weather-resistant face fabric – Silky Illume Cire™ nylon fabric provides optimal balance of durability and lightweight softness with a DWR finish to repel light exposure to wet weather (snow and light rain).
- Insulated Hood – Helmet-compatible, down-filled hood with peripheral cord-lock adjustment
- Ample pockets – two zippered handwarmer pockets and one internal chest pocket for essentials like credit card, ID, etc.
- Stuff Sack – comes with matching stuff sack outfitted with reflective logo to help you pull jacket out of pack with a headlight under a moonless sky. Due to 800-fill, jacket packs down to size of a nalgene (smaller?)
- Storm Sealing Hem – cord lock adjustment allows you to custom fit your jacket to waist, preventing the outside from creeping in
- Cuffs – clean finished with internal elastic for comfort and performance, as well as longer length for back of hands
- Nothing. Time will tell as to how durable the face fabric is, but so far it’s held up to even a toddler.