A spin on the classic spaghetti carbonara – a gluten free daikon carbonara with chorizo in a cauliflower based cream sauce.
Carbonara is inherently evil – spaghetti coated in a heavy cream sauce with ham, yikes! It’s about time for a spin on the classic. How about a gluten free daikon carbonara with chorizo in a cauliflower based cream sauce? Your wish is my command.U-Boat Replica
- 1 7" Daikon
- 2 Chorizo Sausage links, casing removed and pan grilled
- 1 medium sized cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4-6 cups low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a skillet over low heat, drizzle the olive oil and sauté the garlic without burning it. Once aromatic (2-3 minutes), remove from heat and set aside. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned (browned or burnt garlic will taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook, covered until the cauliflower is fork tender (10-12 minutes). Ladle out half of the liquid and set aside. Add the milk, butter, salt and pepper to the florets in the pot and puree the contents with an immersion blender.
- Add more broth as necessary to your desired thickness.
- Combine the grilled chorizo with the daikon pasta (recipe for daikon pasta here) in the skillet and toss.
- Combine with the cauliflower cream sauce, garnish with an optional poached egg and serve hot.