GEAR REVIEW – Salomon Predict RA ($160)
Hello, pavement. You’ve never been a close friend to me, but rather a necessary evil. When time is suffocating me and I need to log some miles, it is you, old friend, that I run to. In fact, I’ve lived in denial that I need you, so much so that I’ve kept logging my neighborhood 5-mile loop in a pair of Nike Pegasus 30’s, working far beyond their retirement years. For the record, Nike is on 35 of the Pegasus’ namesake.
I’ve purchased more trail running shoes than I’m comfortable admitting publicly, but have spent the past five years running in a pair of road shoes that I’ve refused to retire because I have been in denial, so much so that I can’t mentally wrap my head around the thousands of road miles they’ve joined me on. That is, until I ran that same 5-mile neighborhood loop in a pair of Salomon Predict RA road running shoes. Upon my return, before even unlacing the Predict RA’s, I grabbed my Pegasus 30s and tossed them. In hindsight, donating them to a program for people in need of closed toed shoes would have been more appropriate; however, I wasn’t thinking clearly at that very moment. My monotonous 5-mile neighborhood loop felt a lot more springy and dare I say, fun?!
A few months and over 200 road miles later, including an off-the-couch road marathon, and I am still loving the Predict RA. Primarily, the softness that engulfs my upper foot and the spring in the sole. It’s like feeling as if I am not wearing shoes, while still having the support my feet demand as a runner. Each shoe weighs in at only 220 oz (0.48 lbs), and offers an 8mm drop. The sizing is spot on for a running shoe, I did not have to size up a half size like I do with Hoka One One. I am typically a women’s size 10 and I tested the Salomon Predict RA in a size10 W in color Turquoise/Gray.Buy Yours
Bottom Line – A great road running shoe for both training and racing mid to long distances.
- Size – fits true to size. Men’s version comes in D width, while Women’s comes in B-width.
- Toe Box – Perfect amount of space for my toes to splay to accommodate for swelling on longer runs.
- Upper – lightweight and breathable, single-layered mesh provide superb ventilation
- Heel – soft collar means NO chafing or sock disputes.
- Midsole – EnergyCell+ composition, which gives way to excellent energy return.
- Outsole – Contagrip composition of flat and wide lugs provide the most friction on smooth, hard surfaces. Such surfaces are often times referred to as roads.
- Tongue shifts on left shoe, more so than on right. Not quite sure what’s causing this; however, it hasn’t created any problems.