GEAR REVIEW – Design your own Chaco sandals.
You know the tan lines when you see them, the famous Chaco Sandals are known for their all day comfort and performance suited for adventure. I’ve been yearning to get my hands, or rather feet, on a pair of Chacos for years now. Finally, the opportunity arose for me to get a pair of the coveted, do-it-all sandals and fully customize them to my liking.
Right brain dominant folks rejoice! Me, being more left side dominant, experienced a tinge of anxiety tapping into the dark side of creativity. Thank goodness Chaco has us left brainers covered with a plethora of options for fabric patterns; while those willing to take a dive into the wild side of things, can upload their own artwork and create a sandal from that. Pretty sweet.
My Design Experience
First, I had to decide on which famous Chaco Sandal I wanted. Ultimately, I went for the ZX/2 Sandal ($150 customized). I really liked the femininity of the double strands and the toe loop for a more secure fit.
Next, the customization. This was the overwhelming part for me. Being a left brain dominant human, the proudest artwork I can call claim to is a pretty fancy Excel pivot table that I would have been proud to convert to a jpg. Soooooo, the upload your own artwork option wasn’t really the right option for me. Instead, I opted to use Chaco’s design library for inspiration.
As you can see, you pretty much get to customize every aspect of the sandal. How cool is that? After more hours than I’m comfortable admitting, I successfully designed my very own pair of Chacos. I even went buck wild by adding an embroidery option (+$20) with a meaningful phrase, ‘semper anticus’, or ‘always forward’.
At each step of the customization journey, an image is populated with your personalization choices. My personalized sandals are shown below, courtesy of Chacos.
Bottom Line – What better way to express yourself?!
- Double-strapped polyester jacquard webbing upper wraps around the foot and through the midsole for a customized fit for wide and narrow users alike
- Toe loop for secure fit
- Adjustable and durable high-tensile webbing heel risers
- Injection-molded ladder lock buckle – straps stay put throughout all activity
- Women’s specific podiatrist crafted LUVSEAT™ PU midsole
- Vegan-friendly construction
- Non-marking ChacoGrip™ rubber compound
- 3mm lug depth
- Assembled in the USA
- ReChaco Repairs available – in an effort to reduce waste, Chaco has a repair service that can fix any part of your sandal for a reasonable fee. There is no need to ever buy another pair of sandals ever again! I personally used this service to shorten the buckle straps to accomplish a unique fit for my very narrow feet.
- Shipped in cardboard shoe box. No superfluous packing materials used. A win for the environment.
- Screen color from design library did not match in-person color. “Zinnia” was used and appeared more burnt orange/mustard yellow on screen but bright orange in person.
- Runs big. I wear a size 10 W running shoe and the size 9 Chaco sandals fit best.
I was provided a pair of Chaco sandals for the purpose of this review. The thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.